Paxton Update

Well,  in the midst of one vomiting child, two hacking up a lung and zero sleep for Mama I did manage to get Paxton to his cardiologist appointment today.  As I mentioned in my post the other night, I have had a feeling that his next surgery is just around the corner and as intuition would have it, I was right.  For starters Paxton is a whopping FIFTEEN pounds! That truly is amazing for his age and anatomy. I almost fell over, I really thought he was hovering around the 13 pound mark, but I guess those koshies really are paying off!  He had an ekg and an echo done and all appeared well. His blood pressure is a little high, but we can't alter his medication any because it affects his potassium.  As soon as the doctor came in my stomach dropped, I just knew what was coming next.  He looked at me and said it's time to start thinking about the next surgery.  They like to do the Glenn procedure between 15 and 18 pounds. Since he is 15 pounds now, by the time the actual surgery is scheduled he will be a pound to two heavier so as he said...it's time.  Before the surgery Paxton will need to have a heart cath done. This is where he undergoes anesthesia and doctors go in through his groin with a camera and get a better look at his heart.  An echo can only tell so much and they don't want any surprises come surgery day.  This will require a trip to All Children's and an over night stay.  So we are going to Tampa this Friday for the cath consult and to get that scheduled.  From there we are looking at scheduling his Glenn in about a month.  I am a nervous wreck. While I know he will be much better off anatomically after this, I am terrified.  I am told his heart will not be working nearly as hard, which means we will not have to add calories to his formula and we can hopefully cut back/eliminate some of the 13 meds that Paxton gets in a day.  
Oh my sweet boy, we have a big couple of months ahead of us, but if anyone can make it through like a champ, I know that you can and Mama will be there with you every step of the way! 
I will update you with more details as they become available.  In the meantime, please continue to pray for our little man and all that lies ahead for him.  
I have lots of updates on the older two boys that I can hopefully get to tomorrow, when hopefully our children wake up healthy and vomit free.  In case you were wondering, this is round two of sick children in the house this month and by the grace of God, Paxton has remained illness free.  
So, while I have been feeling sick to my stomach all day, I am trying to prepare myself for the weeks ahead.  It's what he needs to be here with us, so it's what we will do.  I thank you all for your amazing comments, emails and for reaching out to me with prayers and your own stories. It means so very much to hear from our readers, so keep it coming.  
Until tomorrow,  ya'll get a good nights rest!

post signature

Comments

Melissa G said…
We have sick kiddos here too. =( I hope yours feels better soon!
That's a sweet photo! I love picturs of sleeping babies!
Matthew said…
Just wanted to let you know that you still have a couple of strangers praying for you all.
Sue said…
Hi, I somehow stubled upon your blog, and I wanted to share with you that our daughter had the Glenn procedure 5 months ago. Our kids do have different conditions, but the Glenn is done the same. Our daughter was only in the hospital for 72 hours after this surgery and did amazing. Her blue lips and fingers tips are now a beautiful pink. Once she is 35 pounds she will have the Fontan. I know how scary this is, handing over your child is the hardest thing you'll ever do. Our daughter was adopted from China 6 months ago, she has TGA, and a huge VSD.
Your baby is beautiful, I will be praying for your son and family.
Hugs
Sue

Popular posts from this blog

Happy One Month Birthday Baby Boy

And he's off

Stream Of Consciousness